The Spark Core is a complete Wi-Fi enabled development platform that allows users to create connected devices with ease. The Core is code-compatible with Arduino, which means you can use your existing Arduino code with the Core with little or no modifications.*
The Core has a built-in Wi-Fi module, a powerful 32-bit ARM microcontroller and 2MB of FLASH memory. You don’t need any additional hardware to get started. The Spark Core offers Over-The-Air firmware updates via it’s web based IDE, allowing the user to remotely write and transfer code to the Core, as well as a REST API provided through Spark’s free cloud service, the Spark Cloud. All you need is a web browser and an internet connection.
You have the option to buy a Core with a chip antenna or a Core with a u.FL connector.
Spark Core v1.0 uses the STM32F103CB – ARM 32-bit Cortex M3 based – microcontroller for its brain power.
Some of its key features are as follows:
- ARM 32-bit Cortex™-M3 CPU Core
- 72Mhz operating frequency, 1.25 DMIPS/MHz (Dhrystone 2.1)
- 128KB of Flash memory
- 20KB of SRAM
- 12 bit ADC
- USB 2.0 full-speed interface
- USART, SPI and I2C interfaces
- JTAG Debug mode
Core v1.0 uses TI’s CC3000 module for the WiFi communications.
Some of the key features of the CC3000 module are as follows:
- IEEE 802.11 b/g compliant
- Radio Performance
- TX power: +18.0 dBm at 11 Mbps, CCK
- RX sensitivity: – 88 dBm, 8% PER, 11 Mbps
- Operating temperature: – 20° C to 70° C
- Wireless security subsystem
- WPA Personal
- WPA2 Personal
- FCC, IC, and CE certified with a chip antenna
- SPI host interface